Hey you guys and girls! Usually my posts are all about books and reading. I don’t like to harass people with other’s opinions or point and wave fingers and tell you what to do. However, sometimes you come across something you just can’t let slip and you have to share your opinion with others.
A couple of days ago one of my writing friends/ co-authors posted something on Facebook about a man that was selling hundreds of e-books on drives for one euro per dvd. Technically, to the letter of the law, this man was not stealing and selling stolen property as e-books can be sold from one person to the next. However, he wasn’t selling one e-book and he wasn’t selling it to just one person. When this author confronted the man with his actions he responded that he wasn’t doing anything illegal (in a manner that was downright insulting and asshole-ish). To cut a long story short, loads of authors that were on his list of e-books teamed-up and tried to get the man to understand that he was costing them their much deserved paycheck, but he still wouldn’t listen.
You probably wonder why I’m telling you this. Well, I wanted to ask you all to think before you download something illegally from the Internet, be it music, movies, books or anything else. You may think nobody is hurt by your downloading, but people are being hurt by it. The author you love so much that you are willing to do anything to get your hands on their new book is being hurt. The publisher that did its best to deliver a stunning book to you is being hurt. What if we all decided to not pay for our books anymore? Then publishers would go bankrupt and authors would have to stop writing. Not to mention all the people who are in some way linked to these books like editors, booksellers, publicists, etc, etc.
Please, please remember that downloading illegally does hurt people. The people that bring you the things you love and like the most. Remember your favorite author and publisher next time you are tempted to download their work illegally and choose to do the right thing. Support them and give them a signal that you value them enough to spend some of your well earned money on them.
This post is for everyone who loves books enough to buy them ❤
Hey you guys and girls! It’s been a bit quiet on my blog, but no worries I’m still alive and blogging. It’s just been one of those months. In April and the beginning of May I needed to finish all my short stories for the historical short story collection which will feature six of my own stories. It’s been a learning process to work with strict deadlines, editorial comments and multiple rewrites. A process with a few bumps, some highs and one or two lows, but I think the result of all that labor will be amazing! And I’m really excited for the presentation of the book on the 15th of June in the National Museum of Antiquities (Rijksmuseum van Oudheden) in Leiden!!!
Of course I haven’t been writing non-stop. Naturally I’ve been reading too 😉 And I’ve got something new for my blog! All around me I heard people talking about bookboxes and lootcrates, which got me really curious as to what these things were. So, I decided to order a bookbox from Fairyloot. Today I will share the unboxing with you! If you don’t want to know what’s in the box don’t continue reading 😉
The theme of this box is Warriors and Legends and it features a Mulan retelling set in feudal Japan. Since I love retellings and Mulan is one of my alltime favorite Disney movies it didn’t take me long to decide to order this Fairylootbox. And I’m so glad I ordered it because everything that was in the box was awesome!!!
So, what was in it?
- A tin with green leaf tea with lychee and jasmine. As tea-lover I’m really excited to try this one, because it smells delicious 🙂
- A vegan soy candle in a small tin called Mist that smells like warm stone and woodsmoke. An absolutely divine scent ❤
- A pair of socks with a celtic knot design. I’m going to put these on and snuggle up in my bed with a good book 😉
- A metallic feather pen. This is such a funny and cute gift! Don’t know if I will write with it but it sure looks awesome as decoration on a desk.
- A wooden bookmark with a quote from Lord of the Rings on it!!! As huge LotR fan I’m super happy with this one ❤
- A mythology book called World Mythology in Bite-Sized Chunks by Mark Daniels. I love the fact that this box featured not one, but two books! And I love collecting myths, legends and fairytales from all over the world to use them as inspiration for my own writing, so, this book will be put to good use 😉
- A sampler from the book Naondel: the Red Abbey Chronicles by Maria Turtschaninoff. I’m really curious what this book will be about as I’ve never heard of the author or the book 🙂
- And last, but certainly not least the book that inspired the whole box: Flame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh!!! When I read the description of the box before I ordered it I hoped this book would be in it and I was right! Super excited to read this one 😉